Thursday, February 28, 2008

PDA

So I never thought you could use a PDA in the classroom. I thought a PDA was just a phone and a calendar. I guess I am not up on the lingo of technology. Now that I know what a PDA I am very interested in how students in the classroom can use it. Well Libby's article was talking about how they use it in reading and taking notes and everything, but to me that can be a little confusing to some students. I know that most schools won't just give the students the PDA's and tell them to use it, they will give them a crash course on how to use it. The thing that has me wondering is when the students are taking notes, doesn't it take them a longer time to do that. I mean what if the students are not that good with typing or writing on the screen, don't they tend not to be able to keep up with the notes. I think it is great that schools are introducing all different types of technology into the class room but with the PDA's I feel that the students have to become very familiar with the PDA's before they use it in a classroom setting. Now I don't know if all the school's are making sure that all the students know how to use a PDA effectively before using it to help students in the classroom, but there are schools that are. I am not against the PDA, but when I use it in the class I am going to make sure that every student knows how to use it effectively, because I know I would be the kid that wouldn't tell the teacher that I didn't know how to use it just because I would feel embarrassed.

1 comment:

Angela G. said...

I completely agree with you. I really want to use PDAs in my classroom, but I will definitely make sure all my students can use it. I want the PDA to expand their creativity not hinder their intelligence. If a student wasn't comfortable typing their notes on the PDA, I would suggest to them that they should use pen and paper. Just because the PDAs are going to be introduced doesn't mean that pen and paper have to be obsolete. I really like the idea of being able to download books on the PDAs. Just think no more books to lug around!