Thursday, February 7, 2008

I was sitting here, trying to think of something to write about and I never realized how much I use technology in my life. Its kinda of sad to say but I carry a calculator with me to every class. I feel like its my security blanket (I know thats kind of a little sad). I am just scared to leave my room with out it. You never know when you need a calculator right?
The technological advances, such as the calculator, are great tools for adults as well as kids. When I was over tutoring at 13th and union, I had to administor a standarized test. The thing that shocked me the most was that they were allowed to use the calculator for the test. One of the students asked to have a calculator and I was like no I don't think you can use one for the test. Then I saw one of the teachers handing them out to the other students. I went back over to the student and gave him one. When I was in grade school, I was never allowed to use a calculator. I was able to use one in high school, but not until my senior year. Later on in the semester in my math methods course, I learned that the students should be able to use the calculator as practice and it also can help students with many other concepts such as counting back.
There are many great reasons for the calculator. It is very benefical to those in the math, physics, and chemistry professions (and many more professions also). It helps in so many different ways. I never really thought of the calculator as technology, but to me it is one of the best I know of now.

1 comment:

Jen W. said...

I completely agree with the calculator thing. There is not a day that I leave my room without my calculator. I think as a math major, I definitely use my calculator more than other people normally would, but I agree that it is not always a bad thing. I think when teaching students, it is important for them to learn basic concepts, such as times tables and squares of numbers, but for the other stuff, once they understand and can perform a concept well, they should be able to use a calculator. It is a part of technology and we should make good use of it!